Friday, May 21, 2010

Worst Baseball Card Trade in History

Tonight's series with the Yankees still stirs up some emotions though I am no fan of interleague play. I still wish they only played the Mayor's Trophy game( for those of you old enough to remember).

Being a Met lifer, I used to collect only Met player baseball cards. Sure, I had some other cards I kept around the house but I focused on the Mets. I'd have taken a Ed Kranepool card over a Bob Gibson card in a nano second.

I could not get rid of my Yankee cards fast enough (I respect the Yankees a lot more now than I did as a kid)... trade them, put them on the spokes of my bicycle tire, flip them...anything to get rid of them.

This led to the single worst baseball card trade in history. In 1967 at the age of nine, I had a lot of Met cards but did not have any Ron Swoboda cards. In a desperate attempt to get this coveted card, I traded my Mickey Mantle card straight up for a Swoboda card....I love Swoboda but it was destined to be the worst trade in baseball card history.

Please share any of your bad card trade stories espeically if they involve Met cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment