Saturday, May 22, 2010

Bay Bloopers

There have been a lot of disappointments in the month of May for us Met fans. After the winning streak, we were ready to declare ourselves contenders. I even said as much on my Facebook page----reinforcing my early season predictions of a Met pennant.

I am hardly ready to give up on the season (thank you Ike, Johan, Pelf, Frankie, and Rod for giving us hope) but I have seen enough to have serious concerns. I am not the blame the manager kind of guy and I actually applaud Jerry for taking out Maine after five pitches the other night. Gutsy and smart move on his part.

The biggest surprise for me is not Ollie, Maine or even Wright, Reyes or Francouer but it is Jason Bay. My early season optimism was predicated on Bay having a big year. Sure his average is up but he was supposed to be an RBI/Power stick in the middle of the lineup. Do you know how many homeruns he has? 1....Projects to a solid four for the year...This from a guy who has been a consistent power guy. It can't just be Citi Field but there is clearly something going on with him. We didn't bring him here so that he could be Jesus Alou---we need him to have some pop.

We remain cautiously optimistic and we know our pitching staff is in good stead because we now have a starting pitching staff with R.A. Dickey and Elmer Dessens.

No comments:

Post a Comment