Monday, May 24, 2010

Who will be the first Met to pitch a no hitter?

Every year I convince myself that this will be the year that a Met pitcher will pitch a no-hitter. I have felt this way since I was old enough to root for the Mets in the mid 60's. We certainly had our close Tom Seaver calls. I still remember the Jimmy Qualls one out ninth inning hit in 1969 like it was yesterday. A young Nolan Ryan has pitched a lot of no-hitters but none with the Mets. The closest I ever to perfection as a pitcher was Dwight Gooden. In 1984 and 1985, you felt that he had the potential every game to pitch a no-hittter but never did with the Mets? How about guys like Jerry Koosman, Jon Matlack, Bret Saberhagen, Frank Viola,---all great pitchers but not a Met no-hitter in the bunch.

I think that Johan is the best Met starter since Doc Gooden, maybe he will be the first to do it. Of course last year my bet was on Ollie. When he had his good stuff, he was (key word is was) unhittable. Nowadays, Paris Hilton has a good a shot as Ollie in pitching a new hitter. My new best guess is obvious but worthwhile--Mike Pelfrey. You heard it here first. With his command and his stuff, he has nights where he is virtually unhittable. I just have a feeling this year is the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment