Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Happy 52nd Birthday in Quotes to Dwight Gooden

52 years ago today, Dwight Gooden was born. I am a little older than Doc and I have seen a lot of pitchers in my lifetime who are incredible---(missed Sandy Koufax)--Bob Gibson, Pedro Martinez, Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux, Juan Marachial, Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan, Clayton Kershaw, etc. but in 1984 and 1985, Dwight Gooden was the best pitcher I ever saw in my life.

His rookie season in 1984 was the most incredible rookie year of all-time---276 K's and virtually unhittable at age 19. At age 20, in 1985, he won the Cy Young Award with 24 wins. You felt that every game he was not only capable of a no-hitter, but also capable of a perfect game.

Even while struggling with his inner demons, he also has some solid years post 1985, but there has been nothing like those two years. He was an incredible talent and we hope that his greatness is remembered for many years to come.

Who better than Sandy Koufax to have the greatest quote about Dwight Gooden's potential as a young man,

Koufax said, "I would trade anybody's past for Dwight Gooden's future."
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment