Saturday, April 10, 2010

High Five to Met Fans Across the World

This is a blog for those who define the greatest days of their lives (outside of the marriage, baby thing) as Game 6 of the 1986 World Series or (for those of us over a certain age), Game 5 of the 1969 World Series.

I have been a Met fan since I was old enough to know baseball. I went to my first baseball game in 1967 when I was nine and almost caught a foul ball from the bat of Richie (later Dick) Allen. By a fluke, as a sixth grader, my brother and I were at Game 5 of the 1969 World Series. I still have the ticket and grass to prove it. Yes, we ran on the field after the game. We did have the worst seats in the place so it took us two hours to get to the field but we got there and even waited around as the players got into their cars (likely incredibly drunk in the pre DWI law days) and drove off into the sunset.

For some reason, I come to 2010 with more optimism and enthuisism than I have had in some time. I guess it is because I am tired of them being slapped around by virtually everyone involved with baseball. In the offseason, while eighty percent of clubs did nothing, they acquired the best offensive free agent in the market in Jason Bay. Instead of being celebrated, they were bashed for not getting any pitching.

The blog will track this season (as much as possible), reminisce about the past, provide some great baseball quotes (my hallmark if you check my profile)and interact with other fans. Hopefully, to paraphrse Bob Murphy, "I hope this was a happy Met blog recacp."

Lets Go Mets.

No comments:

Post a Comment